Retirement Home

Already Retired? Leaving PG&E Soon?

PG&E offers these benefits to support you in retirement:

Type of benefit Do you have this benefit? Can you make changes after you retire?
Retirement Savings Plan (RSP)
Most Union-represented, Management, A&T and PG&E Corporation employees are eligible to participate in the 401(k) plan.


You can change your investment mix or move your money after you retire. You can:

  • Keep your money in the PG&E plan if your balance is greater than $5,000;
  • Roll your balance into another tax qualified plan, like a 401(k) or IRA; or
  • Take your balance as a lump-sum cash disbursement.

The IRS requires that you take annual distributions by April 1 of the calendar year following the year you reach age 70-1/2.

Retirement Plan

You’ll have a pension benefit if you’re vested when you retire or leave PG&E. Vesting is based on your pension formula and your age and years of service when you leave PG&E:

Final pay formula—age 55 or 5 years of service

Cash balance formula—age 55 or 3 years of service

You can’t change any of your pension elections for any reason after your pension start date.

You can start or stop direct deposit, or change your banking information—and you can also change your tax withholding anytime.

Postretirement Life Insurance

You automatically get Postretirement Life Insurance at no cost to you when you retire.

All employees: You have 31 days after your retirement date to convert your employee and dependent life insurance to an individual policy by buying the difference between your employee coverage and your retiree coverage. After 31 days, you can no longer convert your employee and dependent coverage.

Management or A&T employees hired or promoted into a Management position before January 1, 1986—and who have 15+ years of service: You can elect optional Postretirement Life Insurance coverage of $50,000 within 31 days after your retirement date. Your election will be irrevocable.

Yes—but only within 31 days after your retirement date.
Retiree Medical Coverage

To get this coverage, you must retire with at least 10 years of service or be a Management or A&T employee hired before 2004.


You can enroll when you retire—but you don’t have to. You’ll be able to enroll or change your coverage each year during Open Enrollment.

Retiree Health Account

You’ll get this tax-free health reimbursement account if you:

  • Are eligible for PG&E-sponsored retiree medical coverage;
  • Were enrolled in the Anthem or Kaiser Health Account Plan (HAP) when you retired; and
  • Had leftover Heath Account credits when you retired.

Management, A&T and ESC employees: If you retire after January 1, 2017, with Capped Sick Time, 25% of your Capped Sick balance (up to a maximum of 25% of 1,040 Capped Sick hours) will be converted as credits to your Retiree Health Account—even if you were never enrolled in the HAP as an employee. IBEW- and SEIU-represented employees do not have Capped Sick Time.

To see how a converted Capped Sick Time balance is calculated, download the guide to Converting Your Unused Capped Sick Time Bank to Retiree Health Account Credits.


You can’t elect the Retiree Health Account or contribute to it after you retire.

You can use the credits in your account to help pay for medical premiums and out-of-pocket health expenses—even if you’re not enrolled in a PG&E-sponsored retiree medical plan.

If you haven’t already retired, download the Retirement Steps for a timeline and checklist of the steps you’ll need to take before you retire.

401(k) HELP
I need to. . .

Get my Retirement Savings Plan (RSP) distribution package (mailed 30 days after your retirement date)

Update my 401(k) beneficiary

See my account balance

Change my investment mix

Request withdrawals


Log in to your NetBenefits account at

1-877-PGE-401k (1-877-743-4015)

Representatives are available Monday–Friday except New York Stock Exchange holidays, 5:30 a.m.–9 p.m. Pacific time.

Get professional management for my 401(k) account

Have a professional handle my investment mix and set monthly payouts to last throughout my retirement

Financial Engines

Fee-based Professional Management Income+ service, available through your NetBenefits account at



Once you start drawing your pension, you can’t change your pension payment option. But you can start or stop direct deposit, or change your banking information—and you can also change your tax withholding.


I need to. . . Log in to the online PG&E Pension Center: PG&E Payroll Service Center:
415-973-3767, option 2*
PG&E Pension Call Center:

Change my direct deposit information:

  • Stop getting direct deposits and request paper checks
  • Start direct deposits or change your banking information

Select Pension payment summary in the At your fingertips section on the right side of the home page.

Click the Update button in the Payment method & institution section.

Select Continue and provide the requested account information.

Yes Yes
Change my tax withholding

Select Pension payment summary in the At your fingertips section on the right side of the home page.

Click the Update button in the Withholding elections section.

Select Continue and make your elections.

Yes Yes
Talk to someone for help with my pension payments No Yes Yes
Change my address Yes No Yes
Learn about my pension benefits Yes No Yes

*PG&E Payroll Service Center representatives are available Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–4 p.m. Pacific time.

**PG&E Pension Call Center representatives are available Monday–Friday except holidays, 7:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m. Pacific time.

You can also email the PG&E Pension Call Center:

Joint pensioners and surviving dependents

I need to. . .

Start joint pension payments

Get help with survivor benefits

Change my address

PG&E Pension Call Center
1-800-700-0057 or email
Representatives are available Monday–Friday except holidays, 7:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m. Pacific time; closed 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.

Get help with survivor medical benefits PG&E Benefits Service Center
Representatives are available Monday–Friday, 7:30 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific time

Whether you’re a retiree or a surviving dependent, here’s where you can get help with your medical and life insurance benefits.

Retirees and dependents

I need to. . . Mercer BenefitsCentral

Update my postretirement life insurance beneficiary

Get information about PG&E-sponsored retiree medical and postretirement life insurance benefits

Log in to your Mercer BenefitsCentral account:

After logging in, go to Menu > My Account > Beneficiaries

Retirees, surviving dependents and beneficiaries

I need to. . . PG&E Benefits Service Center

Find out my Retiree Medical Savings Account (RMSA) balance, if eligible

Talk to someone about my medical plan options, premium costs and postretirement life insurance coverage

Call to report the death of a dependent or retiree

Call to collect life insurance benefits


Representatives are available Monday–Friday, 7:30 a.m.–5 p.m. Pacific time


I need to. . . MetLife

Convert my employee life insurance coverage to an individual policy within 31 days after I retire



You must enroll in Medicare Parts A and B to get full medical benefits.

DO NOT ENROLL in any Medicare Part D prescription drug plan or Medicare Advantage plan that is not sponsored by PG&E. If you do, your PG&E-sponsored coverage will end.

Retirees and dependents

I need to. . .

Enroll in Medicare

Get a Medicare card

Social Security: 1-800-772-1213

Get claims-specific or general Medicare information

Medicare: 1-800-633-4227

Social Security survivors’ benefits

When your spouse or other family member dies, you may be eligible for Social Security survivors’ benefits. If your own benefit is higher than your family member’s benefit, you should take your own benefit.

Widows and widowers who are at full retirement age as defined by the Social Security Administration should qualify for 100 percent of their spouse’s benefit.

If you were born between 1943 and 1954, the full retirement age is 66. If you’re younger, benefits are graduated by age and work status.

I need to. . .

Find information about what I need to provide to get survivors’ benefits

Learn how to apply


Apply for survivors’ benefits

Social Security:

1-800-772-1213 or contact your local Social Security office

You can’t apply online


Here are other resources offered by Pacific Service Employees Association (PSEA) and other groups. PG&E does not endorse or contribute to PSEA or other plans.

I need to. . .

Get help with estate planning, power of attorney, wills and trusts

Pacific Service Employees Association (PSEA)

Get access to a suite of MetLife estate planning products

Visit or call 1-800-272-7732

Get direct deposit for my pension

Get information about loans, refinancing options and savings products

Pacific Service Credit Union (PSCU)

1-888-858-6878 or

San Joaquin Power Employees Credit Union (SJPECU)

1-800-637-5993 or

Learn about PG&E matching gifts on amounts I pledge

Campaign for the Community

1-866-751-6031 or email

Representatives are available Monday–Friday except holidays, 6:30 a.m.–4 p.m. Pacific time

Check the status of my retirement service award

BI Worldwide (BI)

Call if you haven’t received your information packet within 60 days after your retirement date